Please note this event occurred Sunday, March 24, 2013
Join us in Raleigh-Durham for a weekend inBloom Camp and EdTech Codeathon!
Anyone interested in inBloom: Teachers, principals, administrators, application designers, developers, and other education innovators who want to improve public education.
inBloom Camp is a combined workshop and inBloom codeathon where volunteers learn about inBloom and create usable open source applications to help teachers, parents and students in K-12 education. Educators will learn how to locate high quality educational content and will help design and test applications. They will also start thinking about innovative ways to identify and use the Common Core and educational resources. Developers will learn the structures or “dashboards” that use the inBloom Infrastructure to support personalized learning and will use these to prototype applications. The codeathon is a contest for the best open source apps written on the inBloom data store over the weekend. Winners will receive:
- 1st Place: $2000 cash prize and $1000 in Amazon Web Services and 4 hours with an AWS Solution Architect.
- 2nd Place: $1000 cash prize and $500 in Amazon Web Services and 1 hour with an AWS Solution Architect.
- 3rd Place: $500 cash prize and $500 in Amazon Web Services and 1 hour with an AWS Solution Architect.
What will be accomplished? Teachers, principals, administrators, application designers, and developers will team up to identify quality online content for the classroom and to create new applications for teaching and learning. The content you work with at this Camp will eventually become part of North Carolina’s Home Base digital repository and resource bank, which connects teachers to standards-aligned instructional and assessment content. Development projects will include both solo and team efforts. Some small projects may actually be completed in the timeframe. Obviously, this isn't enough time to build and polish a larger software project -- but it is enough time to form a team and generate a great prototype application.
Attendees will learn:
- How inBloom is enabling personalized education in the classroom
- Common Core State Standards
- The Learning Registry
- Configure a dev environment to take advantage of the inBloom APIs
- Understand inBloom Dashboard sample code
- Load test data and test applications written for inBloom
Saturday, March 23 at 8:00 AM through Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Durham Convention Center
301 West Morgan Street
Durham, NC 27702
Map and directions
Developer Prep Checklist
We know you want to arrive completely prepped and ready to build a great application. Here are the steps you can complete before inBloom Camp if you want to hit the ground running:
- Sign up on Eventbrite.
- Create your inBloom Developer account.
- Do a hello world API example:
- Create a github account (Ours is https://github.com/inbloom).
- Read up on the Use cases and Scenarios.
- Post a question to the Forums.
- Download the Camp Bounties Guidelines (Application, Concept) and presentation template (PPT, Key) for your application or concept (may vary by event).
- Compete for the bounties!